Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Insomnia and Weather Radios

Greetings kids!

Insomnia sucks. I've dealt with it on and off most of my life. There are nights when I fall asleep within an hour or so of laying down and remain asleep through most of the nights. Other nights I fall asleep and wake up every few hours. Then there are those nights when sleep doesn't come at all, and although they are few and far in between, it's still rather annoying. There isn't much you can do when you're an insomniac and the rest of your household, including a cat that loves to run through the house meowing at all hours of the day and night, is sound asleep. Usually when insomnia strikes I lay there for an hour or so staring at the ceiling. When it's obvious that sleep desires to remain elusive, I usually either turn on the laptop and surf the web or I watch television shows On-Demand. But even then I have to be mindful of the fact that my pops is asleep in his bedroom, which is separated from my own by a small bathroom, and sound travels quite easily in our house. Some nights are worse than others because they come with a restlessness that can't be quieted by late night television or surfing the web. It's those nights I dread.

Last night was one of those nights. I went to my room around 8:00 pm and spent a few hours talking on-line with friends and surfing Facebook. At around 11:00 pm I started to doze off so I said my goodnights and turned the laptop off. I turned the television to the Smooth Jazz Music Choice channel I listen to and settled in for the night. I drifted off to sleep rather quickly, but at 2 am I was wide awake. I can't tell you exactly what had woke me up but I could tell that it was going to be one of those restless nights. It must have been the energy in the air. The rain started to fall harder and the wind started to pick up and no matter how I tried I couldn't will myself back to sleep. Seconds turned into minutes and minutes turned into hours and still sleep eluded me. 

Finally around 6:30 am I started to drift back to sleep, which sucks because I had to be up in an hour to start the day. Suddenly the silence was shattered by the NOAA Weather Radio I received for Christmas. I bolted up-right and jumped out of bed, running to the dinning room where the radio was sitting in its charger and grabbed it. I quickly ran back to my room and shut the door, hoping it didn't disturb my pops, who had another hour of sleep left before he had to get up for his medicine and breakfast. The warning wasn't even for our county or the city we live in. When I programmed the radio I set it to receive alerts for the surrounding counties so we'd have a heads up if anything was in the area or coming our way. So, I guess I can take comfort in the fact that the radio does work and that I successfully programmed it for every county in a 60 mile radius from my home. (I think that was over-kill in retrospect...)

That brings me to my next topic... The crazy weather we've been having. Yes, I know I live in Indiana. Yes, I know we have that popular tag-line "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes and it will change". But seriously, even by Indiana standards the weather recently has been a bit spastic. Yesterday it was in the 40s-50s and was raining. Last night and early this morning it was actually around 53 degrees and it was thunderstorming. On Thursday and Friday we had snow. See my post, Always Carry A Screwdriver, for just how cold it was when I left work on Thursday. I just heard a weather report before I came in to work that said the temperature was going to drop 20 degrees in the next few hours and by 8 pm this evening it will be snowing. 

Seriously? From thunderstorms to snow... Welcome to freakin' Indiana! Where the weather changes almost as quickly as my train-of-thought and direction in these blog postings... Yes, I think it's time to end this one.

Peace out!

No comments: